Whether you’re spending the big day with family, friends or both, or enjoying a romantic occasion with just you and your partner, Christmas dinner is arguably the most important meal of the year. So it deserves the perfect drink accompaniment to set it off.
But with all the effort that goes into shopping, cooking and making your table look perfect, it can sometimes be easy to forget you also need to
until the last minute.
You'll probably want more than one wine for your showpiece meal, as well as a tipple to leave out for the parents, sorry, Father Christmas, and others to take to parties or entertain visiting relatives. You may also need to get more wine than you think you need, in case your party runs dry, or for thirsty unexpected guests.
But save your very best wines for the main meal on the big day, and keep the lighter, fruitier ones for Boxing Day.
Another tip for Christmas Day is to serve the lighter vintages first before working your way up to the grand finale of that special bottle.
Ideally, leave wines to rest upright for 24 hours before you open or decant them. Especially for the more delicate reds, room temperature can be a little high for them, so find a cool corner of the house where you can leave your bottles to rest.
For winter, whites need to be slightly richer than those you’d drink on a summer’s day. So think a zingy, clementine-scented house white, or a Sauvignon Blanc that has been partly fermented in the barrel, a white Burgundy or a flavourful marzipan-paste-like Roussanne.
And, of course, at this time of year we drink more sweet and fortified wine, from port and sherry to madeira.
Here are a few tipples that could be the perfect accompaniment to your celebrations this festive season:
- Picpoul De Pinet: A great choice to go with seafood, this medium bodied zingy white brings the palate to life with its fresh, clean taste.
- The Crossings Pinot Gris: A great value vintage, with a natural style all its own. This one can also be enjoyed without food, and makes a great gift as well.
- Turkey Flat Butcher’s Block: Silky and with a full-bodied flavour, this red packs a powerful punch – elegant and restrained with a velvety finish!
- Omrah Unoaked Chardonnay: A lovely rich smooth palate of flavours to fill your mouth, and with a crisp clean finish.
- Plexus John Duval: Quality French oak is used to maximum advantage with this wine, which has a crimson-purple hue, fragrant bouquet and vibrant black cherry and plum fruit palate.
buy wine online
, you get the best deals and greatest selection of vintages, hassle-free ordering, and everything you need delivered direct to your door, from reds and whites to champagne and dessert and fortified wines.
All the above-mentioned vintages can be ordered from Formula Wine, which has some great
, and also sells fine wines by the half bottle, so you can fill the stocking of the wine lover in your life, as well as ordering everything you need to make your Christmas lunch one your guests will remember for all the right reasons.