Nottinghamshire has a proud literary tradition and among its former residents is the tempestuous poet Lord Byron who lived for a time at Newstead Abbey and had his first volume of poetry published in Newark.
Newstead Abbey off the A60 between Mansfield and Nottingham is a rare example of a medieval priory and was converted into a family home in the16th Century.
It stands in beautiful formal gardens including a Japanese garden rose gardens and acres of parkland.
Inside the rooms are decorated in a variety of styles ranging from medieval to Victorian.
There is a collection of letters manuscripts and personal possessions of the romantic poet.
The centrepiece of the exhibition is his perfectly-preserved four-poster bed.
The White Lady restaurant is in a wing of the abbey.
Byron's first printed volume of poetry a personal collection called Fugitive Pieces was privately published in 1806 by S. and J. Ridge of Newark in the Market Place premises now occupied by G. H. Porter Provisions.
Byron would often stay with his mother who lived at Burgage House Southwell or while in Newark at the Kingston later the Clinton Arms in the Market Place.