The Blues rounded off their home programme in Central Midlands League North with an ultimately comfortable win over bottom-of-the-table Welbeck.

They were helped by two own goals and two late strikes from substitute Kieron Wall to go seventh ahead of Saturday’s final match at Dronfield Town Reserves.

George Pearce returned after a long injury, replacing Reece Carlisle in the back four after he aggravated an injury during the warm-up.

Town took a third-minute lead when Tyler Martin put the visitors’ keeper, Nathan Coddington, under pressure, forcing a weak clearance that Sam Wilford side-footed home from 25 yards.

Three minutes later they doubled the lead as the keeper again struggled, allowing Cole Maule to find the unguarded net from outside the area.

After such a positive start for the home side it was a surprise when Welbeck pulled a goal back in the 11th minute, Aidan McTighe’s free-kick finding the top right corner beyond the reach of Oliver Sinclair.

Another free-kick led to an equaliser for the visitors seven minutes later when Liam Arnold was left unmarked to head in.

Newark went close to regaining their advantage midway through the half when Martin set up Maule.

His shot rebounded off the underside of the bar and James Lloyd’s follow-up was kicked off the line.

As Town continued to press, Maule shot wide from close range.

Own goals

Three minutes before half-time the first of the own-goals gave Town the lead, Blackwell heading over his own keeper with Lloyd desperately trying to get the final touch.

The Blues made it 4-2 six minutes into the second period when Martin’s low ball across the box was diverted into his own net by Stone.

Welbeck battled but were kept at bay by a solid Town defence, ably assisted by Sam Wilford, who worked tirelessly at both ends of the pitch.

A further goalkeeping mistake led to Newark’s fifth goal on 72 minutes as Coddington was caught several yards outside his area when Maule’s cross was hammered against his own post by a covering defender.

The rebound fell kindly for Wall to tap into the empty net.

Lloyd sent a free-kick narrowly wide before Newark completed the scoring in stoppage time.

Coddington came out to clear, missed the ball and Wall rolled in his second.

Newark will finish their season at Dronfield Town Reserves on Saturday (3pm).