Terms & Conditions
These terms apply to all users of this website. If you do not accept these terms then you should immediately stop using this website. Your use of the website confirms your acceptance of these terms. We cannot guarantee that you will always be able to access the website; we will not be liable to you for any interruption or delay that you experience in accessing the website, whatever the cause.
We encourage users to share, debate, and discuss points of views on our website and Facebook pages.
Everyone has the right to express themselves but should also respect other users. The Advertiser is impartial and as such will always endeavour to avoid colouring a debate by censoring or altering its content where possible.
While we accept no legal responsibility for individual's comments, there are occasions when the Advertiser may be obliged to intervene. Where this is the case, the following guidelines will be applied.
You must not make or encourage comments that are:
- defamatory, false or misleading;
- insulting, threatening or abusive;
- obscene or of a sexual nature;
- offensive, racist, sexist, homophobic, discriminatory or otherwise objectionable;
- promoting illegal activity; or
- intended to deceive.
- in contempt of court, i.e. would prejudice a police investigation or court case.
These rules do not cover all eventualities and are intended as a guideline and portray the spirit of policy only.
Reader comments that violate the letter or spirit of these rules or our Terms may be removed. If we do remove something, we will generally remove posts, or where necessary, whole threads (not parts). This means that even if only one sentence is objectionable, the whole comment will usually be removed.
We hope that you will understand that, once properly notified of a complaint, we may have to remove a contribution for legal reasons (whatever the rights and wrongs).
We are unable to enter into dialogue about individual cases.
To report an inappropriate comment on the website email email@example.com
If you have a complaint about a story, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
This site provides links to other websites. These links are for your convenience only and do not signify that we endorse or have any responsibility for the content of or any transactions that you enter into relating to those linked sites.
All material on this site is protected by copyright. You may only copy, download and reproduce it for your own personal use. You must not use it for reproduction on any other website, or in any way for commercial purposes or for gain unless you first obtain our written consent. You must not post any copyrighted material on this website.
Law and Jurisdiction
Your use of this website, these terms and any matters arising are subject to the laws of England. Any dispute is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of England. Save as specifically provided otherwise, this website is targetted only at, and goods and services are only available to, UK residents.
The winner(s) may be notified by email and the results may be published on this website and/or in the paper. We reserve the right to report details of competition winners and to publish their photos if required. The prize must be taken as offered with no alternative. In the event that the prize cannot be supplied no liability will attach to Advertiser Group Newspapers.. Entry into this competition gives rise to no binding agreement between the parties. When prizes are supplied by third parties we are acting as their agents and as such we exclude all liability for loss or damage you may suffer as a result of this promotion. The website editor's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. Employees of Advertiser Group Newspapers and the prize provider and their immediate families and agents may not enter.
By entering our competitions you agree to be signed up to receive future promotional material from the newspaper, opting out at a later date will not effect your chances of winning.
Product and Adverts Essentials
This website offers users the ability to order:
- "Personalised" products, prints and digital images which bear images or user content, on or within them;
- "Non-personalised" products;
- "Subscriptions" which authorise access to certain content for a certain period, or which acts as a "pre-purchase" for a certain period of a periodical publication(s) (such as the weekly printed edition of the Advertiser Series newspaper). A Subscription is "active" if the current date/time is within the associated period it has been purchased for, otherwise is it "inactive". Subscriptions can be a one-off payment for a certain period, or a reoccurring payment extending/renewing its active period.
within various sections on our website, and we refer to personalised and non-personalised products, prints and digital images and subscriptions as our "Products".
This website also offers users the ability to purchase advertising space, either for a certain location or space over a defined period, or to be visible periodically for a number of page impressions spread over a defined period; we refer to this advertising space as "Adverts".
Any goods or services available through, and material of any kind accessible or relating to our website, are referred to as our "Services".
We may add or remove Products or Adverts from our Services at any time without notice.
Terms of purchase for Products
A contract between a user and this website for the purchase of a Product is created as follows:
- The user places the order for a Product on the website by pressing an order confirmation button at the end of a checkout process: if the Product in question includes an image, or other user content, selected it is a "personalised Product"; if it is a standard Product which does not include any selected image or user content it is a "non-personalised Product"; if the Product is digital (e.g. a digital copy of a photograph, or a subscription, etc.) then we refer to this as a "digital Product."
- By confirming your order, you are agreeing to purchase the Product you have selected.
- At this point, we take payment for your order by means of a secure third-party payment gateway.
- Your order will be confirmed either by writing, by email, by directing you to a "Thanks for your order" page or by fulfilling the order. You will also receive an email detailing your order for the Product, and other information we must provide to you. This email may be sent by our servers and/or may be sent by the third-party payment gateway, thereby confirming payment and the order.
Note that we may reject an order in certain circumstances, namely:
- Your order breaching the requirements of these Terms;
- The use of images which are corrupted, unsupported technically or inadequately pixelated;
- The Product you order being unavailable;
- Our inability to obtain authorisation for your payment; or
- A relevant pricing or Product description error being identified.
If your order is rejected, we will contact you to confirm this and refund any payment made for that order.
We will endeavour to deliver goods and provide services on the basis and in accordance with the timescales mentioned on this site but time shall not be of the essence of those arrangements and we will have no liability if we are delayed in or prevented from providing the goods/services by factors beyond our control.
This website is made available on the basis that there are excluded, to the extent permitted by law, any terms implied by statute or otherwise and all liability for any loss or damage however it arises out of the use of this website or reliance on its content.
You must be at least 13 years of age to purchase products from this site.
Terms of purchase for Adverts
Returns, refunds and cancellation
You have the right to cancel your contract for the purchase of a non-personalised Product, provided you notify us of the cancellation no longer than 14 days after the day following the day on which the Product is delivered. You must return the unused non-personalised Product to us within 14 days of notifying us of the cancellation, and must pay the cost of returning the Product to our nominated address. We will refund the purchase price you have paid for the Product and its standard delivery charges (but not any expedited, tracked or other special delivery charges you may have chosen to pay) within 14 days of its return.
However, if the value of the Product has been reduced by any handling of it beyond what is necessary to check whether the Product is as expected, we may deduct an amount to reflect that reduction in value from the sum we refund to you. Please follow any returns procedure for non-personalised Products which we specify from time to time. Please note that the right to cancel a contract and return Products does not apply to any personalised or digital Products - although you do have the right to reject any Product which is faulty or not as described in our specifications. However, for orders of personalised or digital Products made from the website we generally allow at least a 30-minute period during which you can amend or cancel your order. That 30-minutes period runs from the appearance of the "Thank you for your order" screen on the website at the end of the order process. If your order, whether personalised or digital or neither, is manually processed internally, e.g. not via an automated process, you can cancel your order for a full refund if you contact us before your order has been processed, but this period length cannot be guaranteed.
If a Subscription is for access to content which is not periodically published in distinct "issues" (e.g. access to a particular section or "premium" content while the Subscription is active) then this purchase cannot be cancelled or refunded, and you will have access until the Subscription's active period ends; however, you can cancel any renewal for such Subscriptions as long as it is cancelled before the renewal date. If you wish to cancel a Subscription which is for receiving or accessing content or Products that are published/released periodically in distinct "issues" (e.g. the print edition of the Advertiser Series newspaper), then a pro rata refund will be issued based on the number of issues/Products received compared to the total issues/Products that would be received within the Subscription period. Any faulty issues/Products will not be counted as received when calculating the refund amount.
Our standard estimated delivery time is 3-5 working days.
This duration may be longer for certain Products that require administration or processing time that is longer than usual (e.g. purchasing an archive photograph from the Photosales section). In those instances a superceding estimated delivery time will be displayed.