Plans for a new Gypsy and Traveller site in Newark look set to be scrapped.
The news has been welcomed by local campaigners who were encouraged to bombard Newark and Sherwood District Council with their views on the proposals for the Seven Hills site off Quibells Lane.
Many objected and hundreds signed a petition against the council’s proposals.
The council said in a statement yesterday: “Having considered the representations received as part of the consultation on potential development allocations earlier in the year, the group of members which oversees the development plan process, the Local Development Framework task group, has concluded that the site is no longer deliverable.
“It has recommended that full council should not allocate the site for Gypsy and Travellers and delay the submission of detailed development sites until later in the process, while continuing with consultation on the finalised version of the Core Strategy in July and August.
“A report on the issue will be presented to full council on July 11, which will consider the recommendations and a range of possible alternative approaches for the delivery of Gypsy and Traveller sites.”
The Seven Hills site is one of two used in Newark and Sherwood for emergency homelessness accommodation.
The future of the homelessness accommodation would have been decided separately, but the two could not have existed together as the site, which is a designated flood risk, is not big enough.
Local district councillor Mrs Gill Dawn, who backed residents in their fight against the proposals, said: “There were very strong local objections for very valid reasons.
“This is a victory for common sense and for the local residents.
“It has been a pleasure to work with this group of residents who have had the support of hundreds of others, including people within the Gypsy and Traveller community who did not see this site as being suitable or desirable for them.
“Everyone is rightly delighted by this announcement.”
In addition to flooding, there were concerns about access, the loss of homelessness accommodation and what would happen to the people, including families, who live there.
A second public meeting regarding the plans, which was scheduled to take place on Friday, June 29, has been cancelled.