Newark 2nds’ Gaz Morgan is grounded by a Market Rasen player during Saturday’s Pennant fixture.
Newark 2nds’ Gaz Morgan is grounded by a Market Rasen player during Saturday’s Pennant fixture.

Dreams of a Notts Cup final for Southwell were dashed by a strong Paviors side at the semi-final stage.

The Redman were the underdogs going into the fixture against the higher-league Midlands Division One (East) opponents.

They dominated the final half-hour of the match, although it proved too little too late.

Captain George Machin said: “The result was about right. They played a tight game throughout as well as dominating the scrum.

“They scored two tries as a result of that, but certainly in the last 20 minutes we gave it our all and were on top.

“Although it wasn’t the result we were looking for I’m proud of our efforts and now we look ahead to our home match against Spalding.”

After going in 5-3 down at half-time — Paul Rich striking through the posts — Paviors took charge of the second-half with a handful of scores.

Rich did not have his usual success through the posts, as Southwell missed chances to make the scores closer.

Jack Skill ran the length of the field to score an interception try, while Dan Montagu went over from close range to score their second late on. 

Rich converted both tries.

There was further disappointment as Southwell 2nds lost 24-19 to Lincoln 2nds, while Southwell 3rds were beaten 63-5 by Ashfield 1sts.

Newark 2nds 50 Market Rasen 2nds 0

A good display saw Newark 2nds overcome the challenge of Market Rasen as they reached a half-century of points in the pennant fixture.

Johnny Marshall broke the deadlock as he dotted down under the posts after carving through the defensive line.

Market Rasen caused some problems going forward, but a strong defensive performance ensured Newark didn’t concede for a second week running.

James Stark added a second try before John Webster ripped the ball in a maul on the 22 and crashed over the line in his final match.

Sam Dobson nearly added a fourth try before half-time, but he fell short of the line after a great break from the wing.

The next score came from Josh Seabrooke, who found the corner, before Dobson got on the end of a kick through to add his second.

A second score was added by Stark after a good break from Scott.

An individual try from Seabrooke and another by Francis Appleton completed the scoring.

Newark 4ths were also in action, but were defeated 55-24 by Mellish 3rds.